Have you ever wanted to throw a classy cocktail party like we see in the movies and didn’t know how to do it or thought it might cost a fortune? well, here’s how you do it, and the biggest challenge is that it’s in 2 days!!! yikes! ‘ Operation cocktail party’
So, since it’s the holidays we decided to host a holiday party for some of our close friends. I will share my progress and my plan. I always, and I mean ALWAYS make lists, i swear by them!
Here is my list of the plan: I will share the recipes and my choices below the list.
- choose theme
- write how many guests you have
- make sure you have enough cutlery and plates, napkins
- make 2 salads
- choose appetizers. (being a cocktail party there won’t be main courses)
- stock guest toilet with toilet paper, wet wipes, and make sure soap is full, my guest toilet has some extra things 🙂
- choose the beverages
- select your music
- desserts choice
- choose decor
- and finally, make your shopping list
We chose the theme black and gold, maybe a splash of red, so once the party is set up I will post photos.
I will use classy disposable plastic plates etc as it is easy to clean up. But you can obviously use whatever suits you best. Since we will have 10 guests, beautiful black and gold disposable plates, knives, forks and glasses are 99c each for a pack of 10. so that is 4 bucks!
As for the salads, I know what my guests enjoy and what my man enjoys, so I will most likely choose these 2 salads and maybe an extra for fun. My salads are usually a big hit and basic!
-My famous potato salad ( If you follow my recipe with a few tweaks, trust me, its the very best) Keep in mind this is for 10 people.
- 7 big potatoes washed and peeled
- 3 stalks of spring onion
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- a handful of fresh dill herbs( has to be fresh)
- one red onion roughly sliced
- 2 eggs boiled
- 3 Tablespoons mayonaise
- 2 Tablespoons mustard
- sweet paprika
- olive oil
- apple cider vinegar
Peel and wash the potatoes. Cut them in small squares. In the meantime boil a small pot of salted water for the eggs( make sure the yolk is hard), and boil a big pot of salted water for the potatoes. While they’re cooking, chop the spring onion, slice the red onion and dill and throw into a big bowl, set aside. When the potatoes and eggs are cooked run them under cold water. Add the potatoes to the bowl with the dill, spring onion, and red onion. leave to get cool. Once cool, slice the boiled egg and throw that in and slice the cherry tomatoes in half and add them. Add the mayonnaise, mustard, olive oil(don’t be shy, be really really generous), a squirt or apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper and sweet paprika. mix slowly not to mush the potatoes. If the salad is too dry, add a teaspoon of mayo or a dash of olive oil, at the end it should look like the picture below. Sprinkle some sweet paprika on for decoration. refrigerate.. Eat once cooled!
My fav recipe! Hope you enjoy!
Price i spent to make this salad : $2.50 ( as i have all the spices, just had to get dill and potatoes and spring onion)
-Honey mustard avo salad ( huge hit, healthy, and addictive)
- 2 bunches of red leaf lettuce
- 2 bunches of green leaf lettuce
- 2 Tablespoons of pine nuts
- 1 avocado
- 3 teaspoons of honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of mustard( or 1 teaspoon of dijon mustard)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- a quarter cup olive oil( about 3 tablespoons)
- a dash of fresh ground black pepper
wash and roughly tear apart the lettuce and put in a bowl. roast pine nuts on the stove til they get color and smell fragrant, then add to the salad bowl and cut up the avocado and put in the bowl. In a jar add the honey, mustard, vinegar, olive oil, black pepper. mix then close it and shake well. Only pour over the salad when you’re about to serve.
See photos below!
Price i spent to make this salad: around $5.00
Remember, you can always make any salad you want, these are the hits in my house and with guests. Appetisers time! If you don’t want to make anything, you could always but the ready frozen snacks, like cheese pies etc. I prefer to make things. Here’s what I will be making…. I will post photos and share recipes in my recipe blog.
- 500gr minced meatballs and a jack daniels dip ( homemade) FRIDAYS style. around $4.
- 5 avocados( if you want to spend a bit, 2 candy of tuna in homemade 1000 islands sauce. sweet paprika. around around $7.
- Caprese salad skewers-basil leave, cherry tomatoes, and mozzarella balls, and skewers of course. around $3.
- if you’re feeling really experimental, cheese platter that i will definitely do. cost me around $8 for the assortment.
- potato chips, baguette and herbed butter( homemade, check out mer recipe),
- 2 packages of chocolate mouse in cups with a cypress chocolate biscuit in it and whipped cream(store bought or homemade)
- some fruit cut up
- 2 coke a cola ($3)
- 1 pack tonic water ($1,50)
- gin, lemon
- wine or champagne
- ice bucket. I have a freezer with built ice maker, but just in case i empty it out and put the ice in a bag and leave it in the freezer so I have extra.
Keep in mind, if you don’t already have these in your home, then substitute or buy a cheaper version. Most people mix drinks so even if it is cheap whiskey that’s ok.
Now this should all take around 3 hours! and cleaning up is super easy! I also have a smart vacuum mop so that can run while I’m asleep. voila!!! and all thats left is to chill and then get ready to have fun!
If you have any suggestions or questions comment below!